- 1 How do you read a bracket and parentheses in knitting?
- 2 What do knitting abbreviations mean?
- 3 What does a square bracket mean in knitting?
- 4 How do I do a SSK in knitting?
- 5 What does work in pattern mean in knitting?
- 6 What does * K * mean in knitting?
- 7 What does M stand for in knitting?
- 8 What does SL M mean in knitting?
How do you read a bracket and parentheses in knitting?
The number immediately following the brackets tells you how many times to do the step. For instance, [YO, K2tog] 6 times means you will YO, then knit 2 sts together, then do that again 5 more times, for a total of 6 YOs and 6 K2togs. Parentheses are sometimes used in the same way.
What do knitting abbreviations mean?
alt: Alternate – worked on every other row or stitch. beg: Begin or beginning – to start as specified or position to be worked at or from, measured from or marked. cont: Continue – carry on working. dec: Decrease or decreasing – by working 2 or more stitches together.
What does a square bracket mean in knitting?
When square brackets are used, it means that the instructions inside should be repeated a set number of times. In the case of the Knit Flat Hat, both of these instructions tell you to do the same thing, they are just different ways of expressing them.
How do I do a SSK in knitting?
How to Slip Slip Knit ( SSK ) More Neatly
- Slip 2 stitches individually as if to knit.
- Insert left needle tip into the fronts of these 2 slipped stitches.
- Knit the 2 slipped stitches together; 1 stitch decreased. To neaten this decrease on the next round or row, work this stitch through the back loop.
What does work in pattern mean in knitting?
Once the stitch or design repeat has been established, rather than continuously writing the same instructions over and over, the instructions may simply say, work in pattern.
What does * K * mean in knitting?
For example, “*k2,p2*” means “repeatedly knit two stitches, purl two stitches as long as possible, i.e., until there are fewer than four stitches left in the row”.
What does M stand for in knitting?
Also on this page:
|M1 or M1K||make one stitch knitwise; single knit increase|
|M1R||make one right; single right-leaning knit increase|
What does SL M mean in knitting?
What does SM, SLM, slip marker, mean in a knitting pattern? SM and SLM are both short for the term “slip marker”. When your knitting pattern tells you to slip marker the marker shall keep its place between the same two stitches. All you have to do is move it (slip it ) from one needle to the other.