- 1 How do you read a knitting pattern for beginners?
- 2 What do knitting abbreviations mean?
- 3 What does pattern mean in knitting?
- 4 What does k3 mean in knitting?
- 5 How do I do a SSK in knitting?
- 6 What does M stand for in knitting?
- 7 What does FB mean in a knitting pattern?
- 8 What does Rs stand for in knitting?
- 9 What is a pattern repeat in knitting?
- 10 What does YBK in knitting mean?
How do you read a knitting pattern for beginners?
To read a written knitting pattern, you’d read it the same way you’d read a book. The pattern begins at the left hand side with the instructions moving from left to right. The pattern works itself from top to bottom on the page but creates a fabric from the bottom up.
What do knitting abbreviations mean?
alt: Alternate – worked on every other row or stitch. beg: Begin or beginning – to start as specified or position to be worked at or from, measured from or marked. cont: Continue – carry on working. dec: Decrease or decreasing – by working 2 or more stitches together.
What does pattern mean in knitting?
The basic thing to know is when a pattern says ‘patt 7 or 11 or 21’ it means to work that number of sts in the pattern that you’ve been working in. You’ve probably knit several rows in the basic stitch pattern, you’re just going to decrease sts in it is all.
What does k3 mean in knitting?
For example: k3, *p1, k1; rep from *, k3. This means you would knit 3 stitches to begin. Then purl 1 and knit 1. Repeat this across the entire row until you get to the last 3 stitches and then knit those 3 stitches.
How do I do a SSK in knitting?
How to Slip Slip Knit ( SSK ) More Neatly
- Slip 2 stitches individually as if to knit.
- Insert left needle tip into the fronts of these 2 slipped stitches.
- Knit the 2 slipped stitches together; 1 stitch decreased. To neaten this decrease on the next round or row, work this stitch through the back loop.
What does M stand for in knitting?
Also on this page:
|M1 or M1K||make one stitch knitwise; single knit increase|
|M1R||make one right; single right-leaning knit increase|
What does FB mean in a knitting pattern?
Knitting in the front and back of the same stitch is one way to increase the row by one stitch. In this video we will show you how to increase a stitch using the knit front back method.
What does Rs stand for in knitting?
This means that on Row 1, which is the right side of the piece (RS), you will knit all 12 stitches on the needle. Then for Row 2, the wrong side (WS) of the piece, you will purl every stitch.
What is a pattern repeat in knitting?
If you’re working a stitch pattern such as ribbing, you work the same combination of stitches— knit 1, purl 1, for example—many times across the row. Instructions that are repeated are termed “ repeats,” and to simplify instructions and save (lots and lots of) space, knitting patterns use special notation for them.
What does YBK in knitting mean?
ybk is an abbreviation for yarn back. When you see this instruction, you will want to bring your working yarn from the front of the work to the back, making sure that it passes under the needle tips.