How do I start a new skein of yarn?
Insert your thumb and another finger of both hands into each end of the skein. Try to squeeze the skein so your fingers touch, giving you the ability to find the center of the skein. You can then pull the center out with one hand; you’ll also be pulling out extra yarn with it, but one end of the skein should be there.
Do you pull yarn from the center?
Pull skeins are longer and more narrow, and are designed to be pulled from the center. Pulling from the center is neater overall and the yarn won’t roll around.
How do you use a hank of yarn?
How to unwind a hank of yarn
- Unfold the hank by taking the two ends and separate them. Remove any tags or labels.
- Untwist the yarn and lay flat.
- You will notice the hank is secured with knots.
- Place two chairs with the backs against each other.
- Make a ball by picking an end and winding the yarn around your fingers a few times.
What is the intarsia knitting technique?
Intarsia is a knitting colorwork technique that involves knitting with blocks of color. They can be in any shape or design you like, but the key is that when you change colors, you don’t strand the colors you’re not working with across the back as is done in stranded knitting (also known as Fair Isle ).